Man seems in court docket however doesn’t enter plea over Perth Hills bushfire

0
27

A man accused of failing to take precautions when using machinery, which allegedly sparked a bushfire in the Perth Hills earlier this year, has indicated through his lawyer he may defend the charges.

The blaze tore through almost 11,000 hectares of land and destroyed 86 homes, and many more sheds, vehicles and other structures. 

Daniel Gunter Preuss, 40, appeared briefly in the Northbridge Magistrates Court this morning, where his lawyer applied for a suppression order, which was denied. 

The order would have prevented him from being named or identified. 

Mr Preuss has been charged with failing to take reasonable precautions when using an angle grinder to remove a padlock from a shipping container on his property during a total fire ban. 

Mr Preuss made no application for bail.

During the hearing, his lawyer said the suppression order was sought due to concerns for his welfare and that of his family. 

The magistrate said the application would be denied because Mr Preuss had already been the subject of media reports.

Mr Preuss is due back in court in Perth on July 30 by video link.